We bring you our monthly report on the automobile sales for the month of January, 2017. You can catch all the January Sales here. You can also find all the coverage in relation to the automobile sector here.
Making himself available at Davos 2017, here is an excerpt from Siddhartha Lal’s interview with CNBC.
- Huge order backlog helped drive sales in November and December. Sales from Jan-Mar should be in the normal course and there is no worry at this point of time.
- Switching over to Bharat Stage IV norms is a simple switch over for the RE. With BSVI norms implementation from April, 2020 which has a very different technology requirement has resulted in changes to the current product plans.
- In case of Commercial Vehicles – it is much more competitive market and sales are also trickier. With the switch to BSIV norms from April, 2017 – company is looking at some pre-buying from February something that has been witnessed in other markets as well as earlier switches in India. All costs from the emission norms switch will be passed on to the customer.
- On the launch of Bajaj Dominar – company doesn’t see other OEMs as competitors as it currently holds 95% market share in the middle weight segment.
New launches for FY18 would include revisions of the current model as seen in the case of the Classic range. Also company would focus on expansion in international (Brazil, Argentina, Indonesia etc.) and improving the brand image. This means leading the middle weight category in the world in the next 5 years and dominating the category in the next 10 years. This mostly comes at the RE banks on the current young population that looks to switch from a daily commuter bike to a bike that can be used for both community and leisurely riding.
RE reported sales of 59,676 units in January, 2017 against 47,710 units during the same time last year resulting in a growth of 25.1%.
- Domestic Sales stood at 58,133 units against 47,140 units.
- Exports tripled to 1,543 units resulting in a jump of of 170.7%
- Both the category of motorcycles witnessed similar growth in January.
Note: Sales numbers presented here are manufacturer reported sales numbers i.e. factory dispatches to dealerships. They are NOT retail sales figures to end customers.
Love it or hate it, do leave us with your reviews in the comment section below!