This is just to check the rupee symbol out. You won’t be able to see it on your RSS reader, or in IE 6, so ignore this post.
Rupees 400 = ₨ 400.
Random Technical Details:
- I got this idea from Paisa.com which was launched today by Infinitely Beta. Good site, fast and clean. Do check it out!
- The funda is – instead of using images which cause the server to get hit over and over again everytime you use the symbol, you use CSS. CSS 3 for those that are curious. The @font-face rule, for the even more curious. If you’re still reading, read this article.
- Warning: Reeely technical. What you need is an @font-face definition – in this case, the font TTF is base-64 encoded, and embedded using the url(data:… format using a font-type attribute. I’ve
used some of it earlier for images and seen it mentioned on Brajeshwar’s blog.
- Once you thulp that into the CSS, you link the CSS file using a <link… tag. Since I’m using blogger I hosted the file on my deepakshenoy.com server.
- Then when I need to type the rupee symbol, all I have to type is:
<span class=”rupee”&rt;& #8360;</span&rt; (No spaces)
- But I won’t do it. It doesn’t appear on RSS readers very well and around 3,300 of you will be pissed off. Not my idea of fun.