Commentary

Sticky: Shenoy’s Investment Fundas

This post contains an organised series of links to my blog posts about investing. I hope to write more as we go along, and update this post constantly. This “book” should help you learn about Investment avenues in India, and where to go.

If you want me to write on something specific, send me a comment (at the bottom of this post)

As usual, I request and appreciate suggestions and comments.

• MillionDollarCountDown says:

>Cool guide. So far I have stayed from Investing in India. may be that will change.

• Ranjan says:

>It’s a great holistic view. Keep up the good work. I have linked it on my google page (http://financeforu.googlepages.com/knowledge under “Investing Guide). Congrats and Keep updating

>Hey , wanna exchange links. It seems we write on quite similar topics. My blog is
    Murkywatersresearch.blogspot.com

• Uma Shankar Ladha says:

>Hi,

The posts are great. I have started a series of Investment Game Plan. In this series I would be posting from the ground zero on total wealth/investment management. Let me know your comments. It has currently 4 posts and would be posting regularly on it.. And by the way nice post on F&O.

• Tarun Theogaraj says:

>For somebody who’s financially illiterate but would like to learn, this is a perfect starting point! Well structured and in language that I can understand. You have yourself a new regular reader! 🙂

• Keyu says:

I was just searching on the net about Investments and got link to ur blog b4 3-4 days back.

Since then I was reading ur blog in Hafazard manner and suddnely, came to this page.

Its really amazing for a newbie like me… Even I feel like Investment is not only somebody’s cup of tea……. It can be learnt over a period of time.

Thnx a lot once again

>That was awesome Mr Deepak. Keep up the good work. Good luck to one n all.

• Ashish says:

You posts are really amazing for newbies like me. could you wirte a brief artile about how calculate and use EPS, P/E and other financial ratio’s.

Thanks
    Ashish

>Quite comprehensive and informative.
    Earlier my only info was from valuesearchonline.com regarding MFs.
    Your blog was answered a lot of my questions, especially the book you have compiled.
    Thanks for all that.

>Hey Deepak,

It would be great that if you could write an article on DCF(using most popular DCF methodology) by taking an example from fast growing Indian company – Big Size (e.g TCS/Infy), mid caps(e.g ICSA) , small caps (Vimta, Venus remedies etc).
    If long term investment is the key, then how does one forecast/predict the price of share after 5 years hence and what is correct price to buy now. It excites me a lot. Hope it does to you as well.
    DeepakR

>Deepak,
    In short can you summarize the budget impact on equities and MF.
    Personal income tax wise its good to see limit raised by 10000 and more taxing on corporates. But would the higher tax corporates pay effect IT employees in anyway..like less pay hike this year. a brief note would be helpful.
    On a ending note Premji had said to tax the IT employees, its good to see they themselves getting taxed more 🙂

• afzal says:

>sir u tol timing is good for investing but tell me how we can time the market

I have been reading your blog quite regularly and have also read some of the comments that people post (like me) and your replies on to it.

From those I came to know that you have been in the market for quite some time and have learnt it from your father also (if my memory serves me right). I am sure readers (can vouch for me at least) would be interested in how you got started onto investing and found your way in it. How about a post on that?

If I may suggest/request, it would be a good idea to add a post on books / websites like investopedia which can help investors (beginners like me and regulars as well) to the post “Shenoy’s Investment Fundas”. I saw some books suggested under one of the comments but now I do not recollect which article it was :-(.

BTW, still awaiting that post on analysis of stocks to discover undervalued and avoid over valued stocks, probably along with SRF as an example :-).

And yes, again from the comments section, I agree that by sharing this knowledge of yours with the others, you are actually helping create a better investor community which would eventually benefit you also in the long run (both from a practical as well as philosophical angle).
    Keep up the good work.

Regards,
    Sumeet
    PS: In reply to my last comment, you had mentioned that you would be open to interaction on mails also as long as they do not belong to the category of send-me-something-at-myemailaddress. I could not find your e-mail address though.

>sumeet: deepakshenoy at gmail is where I am 🙂

I like your idea on posting of books and I still have to finish that post on SRF and others. Have had no time, have been working on something else – quite interesting and stock related 😉

Thanks for the compliments, deeply appreciated.

• Suresh says:

>Hiya,

Thanks for sharing the most valuable info here. I tried searching in your blog related to child future investments. Could you please write an article on this.

Cheers,
    Suresh

>Thank you so much Deepak. your article “How to buy stock” is a great help to novice like me. I posted a small query to you and you wrote a such a big informative article. Thanks once again.
    Regards
    Raj

• VSR says:

>Hi,
    Thanks for the great blog and all the effort you take to keep updating it.

I work for US based MNC from India. I have a particular question regarding the stocks given by MNC in US. After I sell them in US, I usually move the money to India and invest.
    I am never sure of all the tax implications of this. I know I dont have capital gains on this but if I reinvest i dont know if I need to declare it as income.
    If there is any post or thooughts on this please update me.

>vsr: If you have no capital gains (which I think you must have because your gains are capital gains) then there is no other tax on that – if you move it to India, how do you explain the source? It has to be income if you can’t explain – and if the source is capital gains, you pay the capital gains tax and use the rest.

• Kapil says:

>Do you know of a website that can give an alert on a mobile/email when a stock touches the limits that you set?

>Your Fundas as no better than any standard book available in the Market.

Your funda does’t touch the core. What is the approriate asset allocation for an average Indian Investor.

A landmark study by Ibbotson concluded that 90% of portfolio returns are determined by asset allocation and only 4 to 5 % depened on market timing and individual stock selection. This is the universal truth about investment.

Food for thought.

>anon: Firstly, I think you refer to
    this analysis
    , made in 2000? That compares five asset classes, all mutual and pension funds in the US, from 1993-97. None of which are selective to India, and as I’ve seen in the past, India can be extremely unique when it comes to capital markets.

Secondly, the theory is refutable as applicable to an investor rather than a fund – that 90% of returns comes from asset allocation rather than tactics is not altogether applicable since statistically you can have other forces apply to you.

You should read Jack Schwagers books – especially “Stock Market Wizards”. It talks about some of hte best stock traders and how they consistently beat all the indices over 10 year periods, some as much as 200% annualised returns. And this, at a downside risk of 2% in one quarter (lowest drawdown). Consider that versus asset allocation, and perhaps things will seem different.

I’d still like to see the results – statistics hide more than reveal, so it would be nice to actually see a report on India rather than make conclusions based on something that’s totally foreign. Suddenly “universal truths” can become very selective truths.

Perhaps I should write about Asset Allocation as well – I personally don’t believe in a fixed asset allocation based on age, i would base allocation on riskable capital instead. Plus it remains to be seen how Asset allocation would have worked in a 10 year period.

>Excellent blog! really helps out us newbies out there!

link love @ http://www.charchaa.com/shenoys_investment_fundas_how_to_invest_in_indian_stocks

• uttam hoode says:

Can I transfer funds from citibank to reliance money trading account?

Thanks and Regards,
    uttam

I was recently blessed with a baby boy, I would like to start investing very early for his school & college education. Can you direct me to the location in your blog which advices on investment for children?

rgds,
    Sathya.

• Bhavana says:

>Hi! Deepak,

I read some of your articles and found them informative.
    Can you advise me as to what I can do to make rupees one lakh every year with rupees fifty thousand that I have today(not considering tax and inflation).

>Dear Deepak,

Appreciate your blog. Its useful to me and I am sure it must be for many.

Please write about pension/retirement plans and child plans. Please provide the fundas and more than that – selection of one such and the right way to do that.

• Jatin Hura says:

>HI Deepak

Do you have any data on how an avg household asset gets allocated into different classes like:
    Savings/Current/FD/ Post/ Equity/MF/Gold etc

Jatin

>Jatin: Nope, but would love any links if you find them 🙂